VANET has been an active field of research and development for years and related to fields like the following various existing techniques surveyed with their advantages and limitations. Several existing techniques are involved in the transmission of data among the vehicles. Networking, automobile, transportation and security, broadcasting, content prioritization, quality of service and performance, transmission power, Interference and Collision. If the overflowing is not taken up efficiently, broadcast storm problematic transpires. The components of broadcast storm are Heavy channel contention, long-lasting message collisions, and many redundant rebroadcasts. This chapter reviews various approaches and protocols in VANET along with its drawbacks and benefits.
1. Albert, W, Jiang, Y & Shen, X 2010, ‗DCS: An Efficient Distributed-Certificate-Service Scheme for Vehicular Networks‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 59,no.2, pp. 533-549
2. Haerri, J, Filali, F & Bonnet, C 2009, ‗Mobility models for vehicular ad hoc networks: a survey and taxonomy‘, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 19-41.
3. Hang Su & Xi Zhang 2007, ‗Clustering-Based Multichannel MAC Protocols for QoS Provisioning over Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp.319- 331.
4. Hartenstein, H & Laberteaux, KP 2008, ‗A tutorial survey on vehicular ad hoc networks‘, IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 164-171
5. Hassan, AO, Weihua, Z & Li, L 2012, ‗VeMAC: A TDMA-Based MAC Protocol for Reliable Broadcast in VANETs‘, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 12,no.9, pp. 1724-1736.
6. Heecheol, S & Hwang, SL 2013, ‗An Overview of Analytic Models of the IEEE 802.11p MAC protocol for vehicle-to-vehicle safety communications and their technical issues‘, IEEE, ICT Convergence (ICTC), vol. 8,no.4, pp. 25-37.
7. Hosein, P 2008, ‗Broadcasting VBR traffic in a wimax network‘, In: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), vol. 6, no.3 pp. 1-5.
8. Hsu-Chun, H, Studer, A, Dubey, R, Shi, E & Perrig, A 2011, ‗Efficient and Secure Threshold-Based Event Validation for VANETs‘, Proceedings of 4th ACM Conference on Wireless Network Security, New York, vol. 13, no.7, pp.163-174.
9. Hung-Chin Jang and Chih-Chia Hung 2010, ‘Direction based routing strategy to reduce broadcast storm in MANET’, International Computer Symposium, vol. 2, no.3 pp. 445 -450.
10. Hussain, R, Rezaeifar, Z, Lee, Y & Oh, H 2015, ‗Secure and privacy-aware traffic information as a service in VANET-based Clouds‘, Pervasive and mobile computing, vol. 24, no.3, pp. 194-209.
11. Indira, K & Joy, EC 2015,‘Energy Efficient IDS for Cluster-based VANETS‘, Asian Journal of Information Technology, vol. 14. no.1, pp. 37-41.
12. Josiane, N, Neeraj, R, Guiling, W & Cristian, B 2009, ‗VANET Routing on City Roads Using Real-Time Vehicular Traffic Information‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 58, no.7, pp. 3609-3626.
13. Kanitsom Suriyapaibonwattana & Chotipat Pomavalai 2008, ‗An Effective Safety Alert Broadcast Algorithm for VANET‘,
International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, vol. 8, no.5,pp. 247-250.
14. Kaur, T & Verma, A 2012, ‗Simulation and Analysis of AODV Routing Protocol in VANETs‘, International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering, vol. 2, no.3, pp. 2231- 2307.
15. Khabazian, Mehdi, Sonia Aissa, & Mustafa Mehmet-Ali 2011, ‗Performance modeling of message dissemination in vehicular ad hoc networks with priority.‘ Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal on 29.1, vol. 9, no.6, pp. 61-71.
16. Kim, Y & Lee, J 2016, ‗A Secure analysis of vehicular authentication security scheme of RSUs in VANET‘, Journal of Computer Virology and Hacking Techniques, vol. 12, no. 3. pp. 145-150.
17. Korkmaz, G, Ekici, E, Ozguner, E & Ozguner, U 2004, ‗Urban multi-hop broadcast protocols for inter-vehicle communication system‘, In: Proceeding of First ACM Workshop on Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 76-85.
18. Kumar, S & Verma, AK 2015, ‗Position Based Routing Protocols in VANET: A Survey‘, Wireless personal Communications, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 2747-2772.
19. Leinmuller, T , Schoch, E, Kargl, F &Maihofer, C 2010, ‗Decentralized Position Verification in Geographic Ad hocRouting‘, Security Communication Network Journal, vol. 3, no.4, pp. 289-302.
20. Leontiadis, I & Mascolo, C 2007, ‗GeOpps: geographical opportunistic routing for vehicular networks‘, IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM 2007), Espoo, Finland, vol. 5, no.2, pp. 1-6.
21. Liren Zhang & Hesham El-Sayed, 2012, ‗A novel cluster-based protocol for topology discovery in vehicular ad hoc network‘, Procedia Computer Science, vol. 46, no.10, pp 525-534.
22. Lou, Y, Chen, L, Pei, J, Chen, Q & Zhao, Y 2012, ‗Mining frequent trajectory patterns for activity monitoring using radio frequency tag arrays‘, IEEE Trans. Parallel Distrib. Syst., vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 2138-2149.
23. Mahajan, A, Potnis, N, Gopalan, K & Wang, A 2007, ‗Evaluation of mobility models for vehicular ad-hoc network simulations‘, IEEE international Workshop on Next Generation Wireless Networks, vol. 5, no. 3, pp 51-59.
24. Mahmoud, H, Eiza & Qiang, N 2013, ‗An Evolving Graph-Based Reliable Routing Scheme for VANETs‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 62, no.4, pp. 1493-1504.
25. Manuel Fogue, Piedad Garrido, Francisco J Martinez, Juan-Carlos Cano, Carlos T Calafate & Pietro Manzoni, 2013, ‗An
Adaptive System based on Roadmap Profiling to Enhance Warning Message Dissemination in VANETs‘, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 883-895.
26. Marios, G, Jagruti S, Eric, HKW, & Pratap Kumar, S 2011, ‗Binary-Partition-Assisted MAC-Layer Broadcast for Emergency Message Dissemination in VANETs‘, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 757-770.
27. Mauve, M, Widmer, A & Hartenstein, H 2001, ‗A survey on position-based routing in mobile ad hoc networks‘, IEEE Network, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 30-39.
28. Menouar, Hamid Lenardi, Massimiliano Filali & Fethi 2005, ‗A movement prediction-based routing protocol for vehicle-to-vehicle communications‘,1st International Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications Workshop,co-locatedwithMobiQuitous,vol.22, no. 6, pp. 413-425.
29. Mohammad Al-Rabayah & Robert Malaney 2012, ‗A New Scalable Hybrid Routing Protocol for VANETs‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 61, no. 6.pp. 173-178.
30. Namboodiri, V & Lixin, G 2007, ‗Prediction-based Routing for Vehicular Ad hoc Networks‘, IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, vol. 56, no.4, pp. 2332–2345.
31. Na-Nakorn, K & Rojviboonchai 2010, ‗Efficient Beacon Solution for Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks‘, the 7 th International Joint Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering. vol. 8, no. 2.pp. 137-148.
32. Nekovee, M &Bogason, B 2007, ‗Reliable and Efficient Information Dissemination in Intermittenly Connected Vehicular ad hoc Networks‘, proceedings of IEEE the 65th Vehicular Technology Conference Spring‘07, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 2486 – 2490.
33. Oscar, F, Karl, HJ & Mikael, J 2005, ‗A New Feedback Control Mechanism for Error Correction in Packet-Switched Networks‘, Proceedings of the 44th IEEE conference on Decision and Control, vol. 12, no. 5.pp. 273-278.
34. Ozan K Tonguz, Nawaporn Wisitpongphan & Fan Bai. 2010, ‗Dv-cast: A distributed vehicular broadcast protocol for vehicular ad hoc networks. Wireless Communications, IEEE, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 14-147.
35. Patel, D, Faisal Khan, M, Batavia, P, Makhija, S & Mani Roja, M 2016, ‗Article: Overview of Routing Protocols in VANET‘, International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 136, no. 9, pp. 4-7.
36. Perkins, C & Royer, E 1999, ‗Ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing‘, in Proc. IEEE WMCSA, vol. 9, no. 3,pp. 90-100.
37. Pratap Kumar Sahu & Eric Hsiao-Kuang Wu 2013, ‗BAHG: Back-Bone-Assisted Hop Greedy Routing for VANET‘s City Environments‘, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 14, no. 1, pp-102-115.
38. Purohit, KC, Dimri, SC & Jasola, S 2016, ‗Performance evaluation of various MANET routing protocols for adaptability in VANET environment‘, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, vol. 206, no. 11,pp. 1-13.
39. Qian, Y & Nader, M 2008, ‗Design Secure And Application-Oriented VANET‘, : proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference , vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2794-2799.
40. Radi, M, Dezfouli, B, Bakar, KA, Razak, SA & Nematbakhsh, MA 2011, ‗Interference-aware multipath routing protocol for QoS improvement in event-driven wireless sensor networks‘, Tsinghua Sci. Technol., vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 475-490.
41. Ramakrishna, M 2012, ‗DBR: Distance Based Routing Protocol for VANETs‘, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering , vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 228-232.
42. Rex Chen, Wenlong Jin & Amelia Regan 2010,‘Multi-Hop Broadcasting in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks with Shockwave Traffic‘, IEEE 7th Consumer Communications and Networking Conference , vol. 9, no.3, pp. 1-5.
43. Rezaei, F 2009, ‗A novel data dissemination scheme in vehicular net-works for intelligent transportation system applications‘, In: A thesis presented to the University of Waterloo in fulfillment of the thesis requirement for the degree of Master of Applied Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 477-490.
44. Ros, FJ, Ruiz, PM & Stojmenovic, I 2012, ‗Acknowledgment-based broadcast protocol for reliable and efficient data dissemination in vehicular ad hoc networks‘, IEEE Trans. Mobile Comput., vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 33-46.
45. Santos, RA, Edwards, RM, Seed, LN & Edwards, A 2004, ‗A location-based routing algorithm for vehicle to vehicle communication‘, 13th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 576-589.
46. Shahzad Ali & Sardar M Bilal 2009, ‗An Intelligent Routing protocol for VANETs in city environments‘, 2nd International Conference on Computer, Control and Communication, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 76-86.
47. Shahzad, A & Sajjad, M 2011, ‗Distributed Grid based Robust Clustering Protocol for Mobile Sensor Networks‘, International Arab Journal of Information Technology, vol. 39,no. 14, pp. 414-421.
48. SheraliZeadally, Ray, H, Yuh-Shyan, C, Angela, I & Aamir, H 2010, ‗Vehicular ad hoc networks (VANETS): status results and
challenges‘, Telecommunication Systems, vol. 50, no.4 , pp. 217-241.
49. Sheu, ST, Tsai, Y & Chen, J 2002, ‗A highly reliable broadcast scheme for IEEE 802.11 multi-hop ad hoc networks‘, in Proc. IEEE ICC, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 610-615.
50. Stefan, D, Jonathan, P, Geert, H & Frank, K 2013, ‗Graph-Based Metrics for Insider Attack Detection in VANET Multihop Data Dissemination Protocols‘, IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, vol. 62, no.4, pp. 1505-1518.
51. Stojmenovic, I 2002, ‗Position-based routing in ad hoc networks‘, Communications Magazine, IEEE, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 128-134.
52. Stojmenovic, I, Seddigh, M & Zunic, J 2004, ―Dominating sets and neighbor elimination based broadcasting algorithms in wireless networks‖, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1054–1055.
53. Sutariya, D & Pradhan, SN 2010, ‗Data dissemination techniques in Vehicular Ad Hoc Network‘, Int. J. Comput. Appl., vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 35-39.
54. Sze-Yao Ni, Yu-Chee Tseng, Yuh-Shyan Chen, Jang-Ping Sheu 2002, ‗The Broadcast Storm Problem in a Mobile Ad Hoc Network‘, Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 153-167.
55. Tarik, T, Abderrahim, B &Khaled, BL 2010, ‗Toward an Effective Risk-Conscious and Collaborative Vehicular Collision Avoidance System‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 1474-1486.
56. Tomar, P, Chaurasia, BK &Tomar, GS 2010, ‗State of the art of data dissemination in VANETs‘, Int. J. Comput. Theory Eng., vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 957-962.
57. Toor, Y, Muhlethaler, P &Laouiti, A 2008, ‗Vehicle ad hoc networks: Applications and related technical issues‘, Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 74-88.
58. Wang, Ping 2014, ‗Performance analysis of EDCA with strict priorities broadcast in IEEE802. 11p VANETs‘ Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), International Conference. vol.18, no.3, pp.77-81.
59. Wang, Z & Hassan, M 2012, ‗Blind XOR: low-overhead loss recovery for vehicular safety communications‘, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 35-45.
60. Wisitpongphan, N & Tonguz, OK, Parikh, JS, Mudalige, P, Bai, F & Sadekar, V 2007, ‗Broadcast Storm Mitigation Techniques in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks‘, IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 6, pp:84–94.
61. Wu, C, Ohzahata, S & Kato, T 2010, ‗Fuzzy Logic Based Multi-hop Broadcast for High-Density Vehicular Ad hoc Networks‘, : proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference, New Jersey, USA , vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 17-24.
62. Wu, J & Li, H 2001, ‗A dominating set based routing scheme in ad hoc wireless networks‘, Telecommunication Systems, vol. 18, no. 1-2, pp. 13–36.
63. Wu, SL, Tseng, YC & Sheu, JP 2000, ‗Intelligent medium access for mobile ad hoc networks with busy tones and power control‘, IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1647-1657.
64. Xinming Zhang, Xulei Cao, Long Yan & Dan Keun Sung 2016, ‗A street-Centric Opportunistic Routing Protocol Based on Link Correlation for Urban VANETs‘, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1586-1599.
65. Xu, Q, Mak, T, Ko, J & Sengupta, R 2004, ‗Vehicle-to-vehicle safety messaging in DSRC‘, In: 1st ACM Workshop on Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks, vol. 9, no. 6,pp. 19-28.
66. Xue-wen Wu, Shi-ming Song and Hui-bin Wang 2011,’A Novel Position-based Multi-hop Broadcast Protocol for Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, January, Journal of Networks, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 112-120.
67. Yuanguo Bi Lin X Cai, Xuemin (Sherman) Shen&Hai Zhao 2010, ‗Efficient and Reliable Broadcast in Intervehicle Communication Networks: A Cross-Layer Approach‘, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 5621-5631.
68. Yuanguo Bi, Kuang-Hao Liu, Lin X. Cai, Xuemin (Sherman) Shen&Hai Zhao 2009, ‗A Multi-Channel Token Ring Protocol for QOS Provisioning in Inter-Vehicle Communications‘, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 5621-5631.
69. Yun-Wei Lin, Yuh-Shyan Chen, & Sing-Ling Lee 2010. ‗Routing protocols in vehicular ad hoc networks: A survey and future perspectives. J. Inf. Sci. Eng., vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 913-932.
70. Zheng Kai, Wang Neng & Liu Ai-fang 2005, ‗A new AODV based clustering routing protocol‘, International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 621-630.
71. Zhenyu, Y, Ming Li & Wenjing, L 2012, ‗CodePlay Live Multimedia Streaming in VANETs Using Symbol-Level Network Coding‘, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 58, no. 2,pp 914-925.
72. Zhu, H, Liu, T & Wei, G 2013 ‗PPAS: privacy protection authentication scheme for VANET‘, Clust. Comput., vol. 16,no.4, pp. 873-886.
73. Bakhouya, M, Gaber, J & Lorenz 2011, ‗An Adaptive Approach For Information
Dissemination in Vehicular Ad hoc Networks‘, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 34, no.6, pp. 1971-1978
74. Khan, A.; Cho, Y.-Z. ―Beacon-Less Broadcast Protocol for Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks‖. KSII Trans. Internet Inf.Syst. 2014, 8, 1223–1236.
75. Farhan Aadil, S.K.; Bajwa, K.B.; Ali, M.F.K.A. Intelligent Clustering in Vehicular ad hoc Networks. KSII Trans.INTERNET Inf. Syst. 2016, 10, 3512–3526.
76. Nguyen, T.D.T.; Le, T.-V.; Pham, H.-A. Novel Store–Carry–Forward Scheme for Message Dissemination in Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks. ICT Express 2017, 3, 193–198.
77. John sospeter, Di wu, saajid Hussain, An effictve and efficient adaptive probability Data dissemination protocol in vanet, MDPI data journal,Vol,1.no.1,pp 1-22.
78. wejie wang, Tao Luo and Hongxia kang, ―A local information sensing –based Broadcast scheme for Disseminating emergency safety messages in Lov,‖Hindawi Mobile lnformation systems,https://doi.org/10.115/2019/8278904,pp1-11.
broadcast storm, routing protocol, vanet